streams-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: {VOTE} move to gitbox
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2017 20:47:05 GMT
On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 12:55 PM Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 2017-07-06 00:35, Suneel Marthi wrote:

> >> Yes, that's the one single thread I could find.
> >> But no argument or context there either.
> >> Maybe everyone voting on this at openNLP already knows everything about
> >> gitbox,
> >> or they just voted blindly, hoping for the best?
> >>
> >> I'm happy to vote on this, but I'm still clueless for what.
> >

> > With the present setup (without gitbox): this is how u have to merge the
> > PRs (the cumbersome, manual way) -
> > http://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html
> >
> > With gitbox setup, this is how u do it (the way its supposed to be, see
> the
> > section merging a Pull Request) -
> http://opennlp.apache.org/using-git.html
> >

> Thanks, that is helpful, even if IMO still very thin, too thin,
> documentation.
>
> So I understand that with gitbox the (primary?) upstream repository to
> push to
> now is @github, no longer @apache. Or might this be both?
>
> However https://github.com/apache/opennlp still indicates it is mirrored
> from
> git://git.apache.org/opennlp.git.
> Then are these now bidirectionally synchronized? If so, then how are
> conflicts
> resolved/prevented, shouldn't there some guidelines/rules for that?
> Is it still allowed or even possible to push to the repository @apache?
>
> The OpenNLP website doesn't provide any help or explanation either, while I
> think important usage rules like these need to be spelled out and
> documented by
> the project.
>
> Another question: will we (have to) stick to using JIRA for issue
> tracking, or
> with gitbox might github issue tracking be used as well?
> Note: I think the latter to be not such a great idea.
> Also: is it possible to add JIRA integration with the Github repository?

Great question.  IIRC, there is no real requirement to use JIRA for a
project's defect tracking, it is just common to do so.  Any particular
reason you dislike GitHub issues?  It might further simplify the workflow.

> OpenNLP JIRA issues don't show or link to/index related git commits while
> IMO
> *that* would be very useful to have.
>
> Anyhow, I understand the benefit of directly using and pushing to github
> so I'm OK and +1 on moving to gitbox if this now is an 'endorsed' solution
> at
> Apache.
>
> But I also strongly dislike the fact there is zero documentation and also
> no
> Apache guidelines how gitbox can and may, and may not, be used.

Agree on the lack of documentation.  Since @smarthi is a big proponent,
maybe he will improve the documentation ;)