streams-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: {VOTE} move to gitbox
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2017 19:55:46 GMT
On 2017-07-06 00:35, Suneel Marthi wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
>
>> On 2017-07-05 22:16, Suneel Marthi wrote:

>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b2b7c066b79f1f13f733b9b
>>> 205c71c57e156a7577a14b7061cbc8610@%3Cdev.opennlp.apache.org%3E
>>> <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/b2b7c066b79f1f13f733b9
>>> b205c71c57e156a7577a14b7061cbc8610@%3Cdev.opennlp.apache.org%3E>
>>>

>> Yes, that's the one single thread I could find.
>> But no argument or context there either.
>> Maybe everyone voting on this at openNLP already knows everything about
>> gitbox,
>> or they just voted blindly, hoping for the best?
>>
>> I'm happy to vote on this, but I'm still clueless for what.
>

> With the present setup (without gitbox): this is how u have to merge the
> PRs (the cumbersome, manual way) -
> http://mahout.apache.org/developers/github.html
>
> With gitbox setup, this is how u do it (the way its supposed to be, see the
> section merging a Pull Request) - http://opennlp.apache.org/using-git.html

Thanks, that is helpful, even if IMO still very thin, too thin, documentation.

So I understand that with gitbox the (primary?) upstream repository to push to
now is @github, no longer @apache. Or might this be both?

However https://github.com/apache/opennlp still indicates it is mirrored from
git://git.apache.org/opennlp.git.
Then are these now bidirectionally synchronized? If so, then how are conflicts
resolved/prevented, shouldn't there some guidelines/rules for that?
Is it still allowed or even possible to push to the repository @apache?

The OpenNLP website doesn't provide any help or explanation either, while I
think important usage rules like these need to be spelled out and documented by
the project.

Another question: will we (have to) stick to using JIRA for issue tracking, or
with gitbox might github issue tracking be used as well?
Note: I think the latter to be not such a great idea.
Also: is it possible to add JIRA integration with the Github repository?

OpenNLP JIRA issues don't show or link to/index related git commits while IMO
*that* would be very useful to have.

Anyhow, I understand the benefit of directly using and pushing to github
so I'm OK and +1 on moving to gitbox if this now is an 'endorsed' solution at
Apache.

But I also strongly dislike the fact there is zero documentation and also no
Apache guidelines how gitbox can and may, and may not, be used.

Ate