streams-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <st...@blackmon.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Maturity Model Assessment
Date Tue, 11 Apr 2017 20:48:33 GMT
Ate,

Follow-up comments to your feedback in-line.  All suggestions are
being tracked and I agree most should not take a lot of time to push
forward.

All,

Please review the AMMA once more and note opportunities to improve,
however small or grandiose.

Also, I’ve created a page with a checklist of small(ish) improvements
and cleanup to the project website:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

Feel free to add items there, and/or PR some web content (now mostly
in streams-project/src/site/markdown) and check items off!

Steve

On April 10, 2017 at 3:09:26 PM, sblackmon
(sblackmon@apache.org(mailto:sblackmon@apache.org)) wrote:
> Thanks Ate!
>
> On April 10, 2017 at 2:35:39 PM, Ate Douma (ate@douma.nu(mailto:ate@douma.nu)) wrote:
> > On 2017-04-10 04:09, sblackmon wrote:
> > > This thread went quiet during and following the 0.5 release, so I’ll try
to wrap it up now.

> > > If anyone has any last changes they want to make to the AMMA, or want to suggest
others make, prior to initiating a graduation vote, please do so in the next 48 hours.

> > What happens in 48 hours?
> >

> (Hopefully) We’ll have the full list of all the immediate tasks we want to perform
before we share the AMMA with the incubator, sooner or later.
> > Concerning the AMMA, I read through it again and have several remarks:
>
> I will either knock these out directly, incorporate them as notes in the document, or
open up tickets under the 0.5.1 sprint. I’ll send a follow-up on this thread once that process
is complete.

> > > - CD20: Link to website is broken (referring to /site/latest/)
> > > Same goes for a few other website links (RE10, CS10)

Resolved

> > > - CD30: Somehow it looks to me that a 'howto' build (with) Streams is now more
> > > fragments/unclear than before. The only practical instructions (for
> > > users) is now (only?) on the Examples page.
> > > IMO the "For Users" and "For Developers" menu's really lack an intro
> > > page *explaining* what to install, and why.

I agree. I’m preparing an “Introduction” page for each menu with use
cases, basics, and ‘getting started' links.
  added to https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > - LC20: It might be useful to list or reference the actual required 3rd party
> > > dependencies, based upon the latest 0.5 (or 0.5.1) release.

Noted that per-module dependency docs are published to the website,
and opened STREAMS-501 to produce a full-project dependency license
report

> > > - RE50: points to a release-guide from Apache Beam, not the one from Streams

Resolved

> > > - QU10: while maybe not the right item to link this to, but as it mentions
> > > JIRA usage, I'd like to remark the following:
> > >
> > > IMO many/most of the current JIRA tickets are lacking a proper
> > > description *why* certain tasks/changes should be done.
> > > While for some this is discussed on the dev list, others are not or
> > > only minimally so. This makes it really difficult to understand
> > > what's going on, how 'good' or 'bad' these changes might be (from
> > > a quality POV for example), and likewise difficult to join/connect
> > > to the project from community perspective.
> > > It would be good to improve in this area, and more concretely, maybe
> > > put this in a documented Coding/Contribution Policy?

STREAMS-420 is still open, and I agree and have noted there (and will
crystalize within the new contribution docs):
  Each open ticket should an explanatory description
  If there's not a clear enough purpose for either the creator or
assigner to do this, the issue should be closed won't fix.

> > > - QU20: How / where is this documented/explained? AFAIK it is not, yet.
> > > QU30 Many projects do have a dedicated page or section explaining how
> > > security issues are handled.

Noted in the AMMA, added to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > - QU40: . Can we say anything about this, for example referring to
> > > semantic versioning with regards to backwards compatibility handling?

I agree, I think we should add a compatibility page which documents
how breaking changes in various modules should be handled from a
release perspective.
Noted in the AMMA, added to

Noted on https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > - CO20: Contribution guide indeed would be good, IMO needed, to be added.
> > > CO30 A simple/effective example, or starting point:
> > > CO50 http://airavata.apache.org/get-involved.html
> > > CS30

Noted these in the AMMA, and added to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Apache+Streams+Website+TODOs

> > > The above remarks are mostly strong suggestions for improvements/fixes, and
not
> > > all need to be resolved before graduation. But neither should it take a lot
of
> > > time to address most of them.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

wrote:

> [...]
all the release steps on the current master so should be ready to run it for real tomorrow.

January.

Meister.