streams-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why separate Streams-Master and Streams-Project ?
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 16:15:56 GMT
On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM Suneel Marthi <smarthi@apache.org> wrote:

> Why do we have 3 separate projects - Streams-master, Streams-project and
> streams-examples?
>

> While it may make sense to keep streams-examples separate from the others,
> what's the reasoning behind keeping separate streams-master and
> streams-project ?

Keeping the master pom separate from the rest of the project is fairly
common within Apache.  It allows things that don't change often to be
centralized, such as developer info, etc. I am +1 for keeping it on a
separate release cycle and +0 for integrating it back into the main code
repo.

IMO, the examples definitely deserve their own repo and release cycle.

> Presently, we need to build, deploy, verify and validate 3 separate
> projects for a release to pass, unless I am completely
> misunderstanding/missing something here I feel streams-master and
> streams-project can both be one project.

We don't have to release master unless there is a change to dist
management, developers, etc.