streams-dev mailing list archives

From sblackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Better managing website SVGs
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2016 15:33:22 GMT
Hello,

In the past I’ve been generating the SVGs (from DOT/graphviz) that are part of the website
as part of the publishing process as described here:

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.4-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/website.html

This is preferable to checking in the SVGs in that it doesn’t require every developer to
remember to regenerate the SVG every time any DOT file changes.

The downside is that builds.apache.org ubuntu hosts don’t have dot installed so I don’t
see how this step can be hooked up to CI.

Does anyone know of a way to get the dot package installed on those hosts when our builds
run?  Or is it feasible to request hosts with additional packaged installed to make this
possible?  Or any other workable ideas?

If not, I reluctantly propose that anyone changing a dot file will need to regenerate and
check in the new SVG - so that we can run scmpublish from jenkins and omit this tedious manual
step on each website change.

Steve