streams-dev mailing list archives

From sblackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Granary & SocketHub
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 17:26:38 GMT
On October 18, 2016 at 6:09:49 PM, Matt Franklin (m.ben.franklin@gmail.com) wrote:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>
wrote:

> (resending from the correct account…likely the other got spammed…)
>
> Granary is a project with similar ideas and intents as Apache Streams
> (which also needs AS2 support ;) ):
> https://github.com/snarfed/granary

Ryan from Granary is on the list I think.  Hey Ryan!  Cool stuff, too bad it’s python
:)

> In fact Apache Streams gets a mention in their “Related Work” section:
> https://github.com/snarfed/granary#related-work
>
> Also mentioned in the Granary related work section is SocketHub:
> https://github.com/sockethub/sockethub

Cool stuff, too bad it’s LGPL :)

> It’s aims are similar, but it’s reaching way beyond Web-based social APIs
> and “back” to including things like IRC, Email, etc.

Non-SNS data sources are important for sure. I’ve posted some work on my personal github
using the streams framework to parse MBOX files - https://github.com/steveblackmon/streams-apache -
and to collect quantified self data - https://github.com/steveblackmon/humanapi-streams
IRC is interesting as well.

> What’s significant about both these projects (and others they link to) are
> the stories they’re telling developers—which we can crib from as we think
> about the Streams “pitch.” They also have relatively minimal setup
> docs—which Streams is also heading toward (go Steve!).

Agreed this is key

The existence of other open-source projects with similar themes suggests we’re onto an important
problem.  We should pay attention to these projects and what is working for them WRT user
growth, community growth, tech media coverage, etc...

> Again, my key objective is to understand the Apache Streams vision along
> side projects like these and within the wider space of consolidating social
> data. What market does it serve? Is it “personal” (as these projects seem
> to be)? Or commercial? Or developer-only (library/framework for wiring up
> your own idiosyncratic stuff)?

I think the overall objective of streams remains very similar to what it
started as: A way to easily and flexibly ingest multiple different sources
of 'activity' data in a normalized ActivityStreams format. For me
personally, my interest is in ingesting this data at scale and with as
little internally-maintained code as possible.

While most of the development so far has been geared toward enabling back-end / commercial-scale
data collection and management, I think the future should be more about enabling individuals
and businesses to transcend data silos using computing resources and code entirely under their
own control. This might mean supporting regular users with a full-featured SaaS application
in addition to continued work on data interoperability.