streams-dev mailing list archives

From sblackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Path to support for Activity Streams 2.0
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 23:56:42 GMT
Ate pointed out that the permissions to the Streams confluence wiki were locked down - I’ve
changed that and confirmed it load incognito.

Steve
On October 3, 2016 at 10:46:54 PM, sblackmon (sblackmon@apache.org) wrote:

All,

Several parties on the mailing list have brought up adoption of Activity Streams 2.0 as an
important step forward for the project, and I completely agree.

To help frame the conversation around making this happen, I’ve created two resources for
your review, and welcome suggestions and questions.

1 - a pull request to the w3c activity streams github with an implementation report written
as if all existing Apache Streams functionality were AS 2.0 compatible.

https://github.com/w3c/activitystreams/pull/356

2 - a wiki page with some high-level notes of a logical (I think) sequence of steps to move
from only AS 1.0 support to full AS 2.0 support.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Activity+Streams+2.0

Please feel free to submit comments on or changes to either document.  Let me know if you
need additional permissions, you’ll get them.

There’s a lot to sort out to make this happen, and it’ll require a lot of work from more
than just myself, but it’s entirely achievable within several release cycles.  If we (Apache
Streams) don’t continue to maintain and evolve the translations between proprietary social
networking service APIs and standard formats that we’ve started, it’s far from clear that
any other community is in the wings to step up and do so.

As a brief aside, the ActivityPub draft spec circulating among the w3c social web working
group is quite interesting and ready like a requirements document for a chunk of the project’s
original founding goals.  A perfectly natural extension of what we’ve built here and a
good challenge to potentially tackle in 2017.  If you aren’t subscribed to the SocialWG
mailing list, consider joining (you can use your @apache.org address)

Steve