streams-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Granary & SocketHub
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2016 19:14:08 GMT
Then it sounds like we're decidedly on the same page...and now to the work! ;)

Also (for later): http://www.hydra-cg.com/

It's more or less what you're after, I think: descriptions of endpoints and HTTP-based actions
to be taken on them. There are certainly others like this out there also, but most are more
limited and more focused on documenting or describing one's own API vs. doing that same thing
for any API anywhere + Linked Data. ^_^

Thanks, Steve.

Excited!

Benjamin

________________________________
From: sblackmon <sblackmon@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2016 3:06:21 PM
To: dev@streams.incubator.apache.org; Benjamin Young
Cc: Matt Franklin
Subject: Re: Granary & SocketHub

On October 20, 2016 at 1:33:33 PM, Benjamin Young (byoung@bigbluehat.com<mailto:byoung@bigbluehat.com>)
wrote:

Great points, Steven.

What's always attracted me to Apache Streams is it's descriptiveness (via JSON Schemas documents)
vs. prescriptive-ness. Granary's approach is (currently? ;) ) more prescriptive:

https://github.com/snarfed/granary/blob/master/granary/twitter.py

vs.

https://github.com/apache/streams/tree/STREAMS-26/streams-contrib/streams-provider-twitter

...which is mostly (though not all) a collection of .json and .conf files with a handful of
.java files needed (afaict) for last-mile integration with one's tool.

The future I dream about is one where I can pick my tool for my idiosyncratic language, operating
system, license reasons, but they'll all work off shared, descriptive "knowledge" documents.

I think we (the active streams developers) agree that data descriptor and translation rules
should ideally be
a) human-readable
b) machine-readable
c) programming language-agnostic
d) internationalized
e) compliant with web standards, or community standards where suitable web standards don’t
exist

With regard to operating system flexibility, java byte-code and docker containers are as universal
as any other run-time platform, with the possible exception of javascript.

Apache License 2.0 is about as permissive as they come, so hopefully no concerns there?

Otherwise, we're all pulling separately, and end up with snowflake systems to process snowflake
APIs. However, I also know it's unlikely everyone will come "under one roof" to work on things.
My hope, though, is that the output of this group (and Granary and Sockethub and...) will
be re-usable by as wide an audience as possible--hence the value of description over prescription
(at least in my book ;) ).

A major driver behind using json schemas and hocon snippets so widely throughout the project,
and the reason we push all of them onto the website with each snapshot and each release, is
to facilitate re-use and re-mixing of those artifacts in other projects using URIs.

Ideally it should be possible for some other project to build a system with black-box behavior
identical to Apache Streams in another language with much less code by piggy-backing on these
public resources.  This could even extend to the mechanics of collection, if we specified
how to submit and parse HTTP requests with text resources rather than using java sdks.  We’ve
got a long way to go to reach this objective, but philosophically I’m all for maximizing
the re-usability of this codebase and supporting complementary efforts.

Granted, if I'm barking up the wrong tree (again), I'm happy to wander off...

Please don’t!  Stay and help!

Is anything in the above sane? ;)

I think so!  P.S. I’m hopeful that bringing this code-base into compliance with AS 2.0 and
JSON-LD will open up the world of RDF tools and specs and allow more of what’s currently
expressible only with source code to be expressed with W3C standards compliant resource files
published on the web going forward.

Cheers!

Benjamin

--