streams-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Envisioning
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:19:33 GMT
Hi all,

Sorry I’ve not written here sooner. I’d reached out to the Incubator list while at the
W3C’s TPAC even about keeping Apache Streams in the incubator in hopes of also seeing it
support the nearly finalized ActivityStreams 2.0 specification:
https://www.w3.org/TR/activitystreams-core/

Since then, I’ve noticed Steve’s efforts to make Streams much simpler for new years—which
is fabulous! I (sadly) don’t code in Java…since college, but I do have a desire to run
code that aggregates my social streams into a standard format, store it in a database I prefer
(in my case Apache CouchDB), and do cool stuff with it for my own reasons. ;) That desire
is what drew me into the Streams talk at ApacheCon.

While digging around the project documents, I’ve found two overview descriptions of the
project.

This one’s from the web site:
http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.4-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/
”Apache Streams (incubating) unifies a diverse world of digital profiles and online activities
into common formats and vocabularies, and makes these datasets accessible across a variety
of databases, devices, and platforms for streaming, browsing, search, sharing, and analytics
use-cases.”

And this one from the repo’s readme file:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/streams/trunk/README.txt
“Apache Streams is a lightweight (yet scalable) server for ActivityStreams. The role of
Apache Streams is to provide a central point of aggregation, filtering and querying for Activities
that have been submitted by disparate systems. Apache Streams also intends to include a mechanism
for intelligent filtering and recommendation to reduce the noise to end users.”

In either case, the story that I get—and the thing I want—is minimal setup to get my Twitter,
etc, piped into a database +/- an API +/- a UI.

Am I on the right track here? Or is Streams really meant for Java-developers to mix into their
projects?

Once I know that, I’ll know best how to help. :)

Cheers!
Benjamin
--
http://bigbluehat.com/