streams-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Granary & SocketHub
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 14:39:12 GMT
(resending from the correct account…likely the other got spammed…)

Granary is a project with similar ideas and intents as Apache Streams (which also needs AS2
support ;) ):
https://github.com/snarfed/granary

In fact Apache Streams gets a mention in their “Related Work” section:
https://github.com/snarfed/granary#related-work

Also mentioned in the Granary related work section is SocketHub:
https://github.com/sockethub/sockethub

It’s aims are similar, but it’s reaching way beyond Web-based social APIs and “back”
to including things like IRC, Email, etc.

What’s significant about both these projects (and others they link to) are the stories they’re
telling developers—which we can crib from as we think about the Streams “pitch.” They
also have relatively minimal setup docs—which Streams is also heading toward (go Steve!).

Again, my key objective is to understand the Apache Streams vision along side projects like
these and within the wider space of consolidating social data. What market does it serve?
Is it “personal” (as these projects seem to be)? Or commercial? Or developer-only (library/framework
for wiring up your own idiosyncratic stuff)?

Thanks for reading, pondering, and helping me help. :)

Cheers!
Benjamin

--
http://bigbluehat.com/