streams-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Granary & SocketHub
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 23:09:26 GMT
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 10:39 AM Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com>
wrote:

> (resending from the correct account…likely the other got spammed…)
>
> Granary is a project with similar ideas and intents as Apache Streams
> (which also needs AS2 support ;) ):
> https://github.com/snarfed/granary
>
> In fact Apache Streams gets a mention in their “Related Work” section:
> https://github.com/snarfed/granary#related-work
>
> Also mentioned in the Granary related work section is SocketHub:
> https://github.com/sockethub/sockethub
>
> It’s aims are similar, but it’s reaching way beyond Web-based social APIs
> and “back” to including things like IRC, Email, etc.

> What’s significant about both these projects (and others they link to) are
> the stories they’re telling developers—which we can crib from as we think
> about the Streams “pitch.” They also have relatively minimal setup
> docs—which Streams is also heading toward (go Steve!).

Agreed this is key

> Again, my key objective is to understand the Apache Streams vision along
> side projects like these and within the wider space of consolidating social
> data. What market does it serve? Is it “personal” (as these projects seem
> to be)? Or commercial? Or developer-only (library/framework for wiring up
> your own idiosyncratic stuff)?

I think the overall objective of streams remains very similar to what it
started as:  A way to easily and flexibly ingest multiple different sources
of 'activity' data in a normalized ActivityStreams format.  For me
personally, my interest is in ingesting this data at scale and with as
little internally-maintained code as possible.