streams-dev mailing list archives

From Joey Frazee <joey.fra...@icloud.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Retire Apache Streams to the attic
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 17:05:03 GMT
The discussion +/- retiring the project is probably the right discussion to be having, but
I think in order to make a decision everyone ought to look at what steps could be taken to
get it out of a rut, and whether there's reason to believe those would be successful. So
far no one has said they don't think there's potential which suggests with some changes it
can get moving in another direction.

Here's a laundry list of things I think are worth discussing:

- What should the focus be? If you look at the code, the project really provides 3 things:
(1) a stream processing engine and integration with data persistence mechanisms, (2) a reference
implementation of ActivityStreams, AS schemas, and tools for interlinking activity objects
and events, and (3) a uniform API for integrating with social network APIs. I don't think
that first thing is needed anymore. Just looking at Apache projects, NiFi, Apex + Apex Malhar,
and to some extent Flume are further along here. Stream Sets covers some of this too, and
arguably Logstash also gets used for this sort of work. I.e., I think the project would be
much stronger if it focused on (2) and (3) and marrying those up to other Apache projects
that fit (1). Minimally, it needs to be de-entangled a bit.

- This has already come up, but maybe ActivityStreams 2.0 support would broaden the community
and motivate more work. It's also a concrete goal to work toward so people would know where
they can start.

- Steve and I did a little work here a few months ago, but the JIRA could reflect the priorities
better and I think keep the community working in a common direction.

- I think the project needs at least one mentor with a very strong incentive to keep it moving/participate
regularly. From the outside it doesn't look like that's there right now.

There are (active) TLP projects out there with monthly participation that you can count on
one hand. Getting to that over the course of the next 3 months has to be achievable.

So the question is really, what needs to change to motivate 5 people to jump in each month?

-joey