streams-dev mailing list archives

From apache <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Notes from ApacheCon NA 2016
Date Thu, 26 May 2016 19:26:55 GMT
Hello,

Earlier this month I went to ApacheCon NA 2016. It was a great experience and I highly recommend
you consider going to ApacheCon if you’ve never been.

I gave two talks. The first to a small group titled ’Generating many resources from one
set of schemas’. I went into detail about the work taking place in STREAMS–389 and STREAMS–398
to bring generation of java source files, scala source files, and resource files that can
configure hive, pig, and cassandra to work with JSON datasets acquired from streams providers.

That presentation is hosted if you’d like to browse through it. The tl;dr is that generating
intergration boilerplate from schemas is very do-able and I think it can be a key aspect of
our project’s value proposition and help us drive adoption.

http://sblackmon-apache-org.herokuapp.com/apacheconna2016-schemas.html

The second talk was to a much larger group, almost everyone there for the Big Data portion
of the conference. The session was fashioned after Shark Tank and my role was to pitch Apache
Streams to a panel of judges.

I’ve pulled those notes into a blog post and put it up at http://blogs.apache.org/streams

In other news, there was a noticeable spike in traffic to the new website during the conference,
and there’s been light steady traffic since - see attached PDF if you are interested.

Please shoot a note to me or to the list if you have questions, comments, or suggestions regarding
this material.

——

Steve Blackmon sblackmon@apache.org