streams-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Blackmon" <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Streams Web Site, Maven Sites, misc Documentation - proposed next steps
Date Mon, 02 May 2016 16:11:07 GMT
Thanks Matt, Renato, Ate!

I did squeeze two simple diagrams on the architecture page -

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/architecture.html

Most of the modules have a diagram depicting the components they contain and the types of
data each support:

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-project/streams-contrib/streams-provider-instagram/index.html

And each of the examples has an end-to-end data flow diagram:

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-examples/streams-examples-local/twitter-userstream-elasticsearch/index.html

Always open to ideas for improvement, happy to jump on any typos or other problems that turn
up.

Cheers

Steve Blackmon

sblackmon@apache.org

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 10:43 AM Matt Franklin

<
mailto:Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com>
> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM Steve Blackmon <
mailto:sblackmon@apache.org
> wrote:

The new website is now up at
http://streams.incubator.apache.org
.  It’s not perfect but it’s good enough and way better than it’s ever been.  It’s
got a basic connection to Google Analytics - if you’d like to be added to the organization
just ask.

This looks great!  I agree with Ate on a diagram or other visually engaging component.

I’m going to put together a blog post about website revamp and everything that there for
the project blog at
https://blogs.apache.org/streams/

Hopefully we’ll also be able to tweet it out from @ApacheStreams if the PMC is able to get
control of it (WIP)

Steve Blackmon
mailto:sblackmon@apache.org

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 3:28 PM Steve Blackmon

<
mailto:Steve+Blackmon+%3Csblackmon@apache.org%3E
> wrote:

All,

I think we are pretty close to pulling all of the work on STREAMS-401 (new web page) together
into a pretty slick package.  Thanks for your patience and feedback.

Some new additions include diagrams on the architecture page and within many modules depicting
streams components and data flow among them and with third-party systems, a 5-step tutorial
to run a useful stream, consistent look-and-feel across all three repos, integrated breadcrumbs,
and rudimentary github and twitter integrations.

Feel free to browse these links to see where we’re at.
http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html
http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-project/index.html
http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-examples/index.html

All of the menu link now resolve, or will resolve as soon as everything is promoted.  If
you get any Not Available errors that you CAN’T resolve by substituting ‘latest’ for
‘0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT’ in the url, please let me know.

Additionally if you identify any major issues or have any last suggestions please let me know
before I kickoff the process to merge the STREAMS-401 branches and promote the site later
this week.

Steve Blackmon
mailto:sblackmon@apache.org

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 9:48 AM Ate Douma

<
mailto:Ate+Douma+%3Cate@douma.nu%3E
> wrote:

+1 to everything below :)

Good stuff Steve!

On 2016-03-01 23:50, Steve Blackmon wrote:

> Following up:

> I took a pass at cleaning up the release markdown files and they now look

> mostly the same as they did under apache cms.

> I also confirmed that site-deploy can write to a sub-directory of

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
using scm:svn capability.

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

> Recall that streams-project and streams-examples each publish schema

> artifacts to their maven sites, so maintaining prior versions is important.

> streams-master doesn't currently, but since it's a parent of those other

> two and prior experience has led to believe we're better off using the same

> scheme and setting the streams-master

in the pom to be a sibling of

> streams-project and streams-example rather that publishing it to a

> different URL entirely. This is why the version an artifactId are being

> included in the above url.

> Brings up two issues -

> resolving the latest release and/or snapshot version at any given time

> ensuring a visitor to
http://streams.incubator.apache.org
lands on the

> streams-master site for that version

> While symlinks are a viable way to resolving the latest release and/or

> snapshot version while keeping previous release versions around

> i.e. forwarding

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/latest/streams-master/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

> they won't help us forward
http://streams.incubator.apache.org
to a

> subdirectory of itself.

> Good news is apache cms supports .htaccess and the following snippet can.

> RewriteEngine *on*

> Redirect /

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/latest/streams-master/index.html

> Feel free to confirm by visiting
http://streams.staging.incubator.org
(you'll be

> redirected to the output of the maven site-deploy)

> *I ask that everyone on the list review and send me any concerns or

> feedback they want incorporated before this goes live on

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
<
http://streams.incubator.apache.org
>.*

> Procedurally, the way I expect that to happen is:

> - I'll submit a PR to streams-master/master

> - That PR will merge

> - Update the streams-master jenkins job to run site-deploy, and do the

> needful to get it the necessary credentials

> - Going forward all builds of streams-master/master will publish to

> site/${version}/streams-master

> - Add a few more instructions to jenkins to maintain the symlinks and

> .htaccess

> - If there are any manual steps required to oversee, document that on the

> site itself.

> Then, we'll move on to hooking streams-project and streams-examples up to

> this new site (as children with an integrated breadcrumb) and to jenkins CD.

> Steve Blackmon

mailto:sblackmon@apache.org

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Steve Blackmon <
mailto:sblackmon@apache.org

> wrote:

>> One thing which I think can 'spice up' the overview page a bit more would

>>> be a

>>> diagram providing some very high-level interaction between data sources

>>> and

>>> destinations and the streams role between them.

>> I agree - a diagram depicting streams mediating between sources and

>> destination on the landing page is appropriate. I'll work on this soon.

>> And before replacing the current site several existing pages need to be

>>> moved to

>>> the new one. But once those are done I think this is great improvement.

>> I've pushed a new version (to the source and site links from my prior

>> message) that brings most of the existing content along, using the

>> reporting-info plugin to generate the HTML where possible.

>> On a few of the pages - SCM, CI, and Dependency Info - the output of the

>> maven plugin simply isn't adequate for a multi-repository project such as

>> this, so those are now managed within src/site/markdown

>> Release Setup and Release Process need some cleanup but all of the content

>> has been migrated.

>> Other report-info pages - such as Dependencies, Dependency Management,

>> Dependency Convergence, JavaDocs, Test JavaDocs, - don't make sense at the

>> streams-master level but do exist and are useful within streams-project,

>> streams-examples, and many of their respective sub-modules.

>> In theory those additional report items will show up when navigating into

>> the site hierarchy of the sub-projects (links to each sub-project are

>> present along the header), which will inherit the structure, look-and-feel,

>> and breadcrumb of this site revision. Naturally these changes must be

>> deployed to
http://streams.incubator.apache.org
and sub-project pom.xml and

mailto:ate@douma.nu

http://people.apache.org/~sblackmon/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

>>> This looks cool!

>>> I like the new overview and faq pages, definitely more concrete about

>>> Streams.

https://github.com/steveblackmon/incubator-streams-master.git

mailto:ate@douma.nu

why

with

such

no

at

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
) predates the

and

the

is

know

in

out

http://httpd
is not the ideal platform for hosting a blog but some other

and

mailto:commit@streams.incubator.apache.org
does not

http://apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail
we should hold

on

the

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-examples/

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.2-incubating/streams-project/apidocs/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.2-incubating/streams-project/index.html

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20STREAMS%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20unreleasedVersions()