streams-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: December 2015 Report - Streams future?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 22:15:40 GMT
On 2015-12-07 09:00, Ate Douma wrote:
> Thanks for entering the report Steve.
>
> I'll sign off and provide some mentor feedback as well later today.

FYI: I've now signed off the report [1] and added the following mentor note:

   Ate Douma (ate):

     As reported above, mentor support has been too low, including my own.
     I find the dwindling down of participation and contributions other than
     from only one (very) active committer (Steve) worrisome.
     More or even primary focus should be turned towards community development
     instead of only churning out code.
     I've suggested some concrete steps for this and propose to give the
     project a bit more time to try building up a community and more
     contributor involvement. As mentor I'll try to help out more as well.
     However, if there is no substantial improvement within one or two
     reporting periods, it might be better to consider retirement instead.

Regards,
Ate

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2015

> [...]
> some explanation *why* a release of Stream is needed.
>
> And I personally would prefer the dev@ list to be much more / primarily used for
> actual human interaction, not just these notifications from JIRA and Github.
> Maybe change the configuration to delegate (some of) these to the commit@ list
> instead?
>
> I hope the above suggestions makes sense.
> Not everything might be needed but I really think something needs to be changed
> soon about this to get Streams, as an Apache project, moving forward.
>
> Kind regards,
> Ate
>
> On 2015-12-04 18:24, Steve Blackmon wrote:
>> Thanks for the heads up on the board report Ate.  I'll get started on it
>> now.
>>
>> My take is that code quality and functionality are still improving.  I
>> agree that a release is long overdue.  The last release package I put
>> together didn't mobilize enough votes within the project to reach the IPMC.
>>
>> I'm still committed to the project.  I'm disappointed other early
>> participants haven't been lately because the project's mission of
>> interoperability between data silos is important. FWIW I don't see any
>> open-source community devoted to this mission currently growing outside of
>> Apache either.  However, awareness of the problem, it's magnitude, and the
>> real costs borne by developers and businesses continues to grow.
>>
>> While the project has not made much progress on it's graduation criteria
>> over the last two quarters, I believe we can still turn the corner.  I'm
>> wide open to suggestions for (and help) attracting new attention and
>> contributors to the project.
>>
>> Steve Blackmon
>> sblackmon@apache.org
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Streams team,
>>>
>>> I just realized (too late) yesterday was the deadline for submitting the
>>> board
>>> report for Apache Streams...
>>>
>>> I hope and suggest that we still provide one quickly before the end of the
>>> week, because it also is important to report the IMO current lacking
>>> development of the Streams community and the project overall.
>>>
>>> As a mentor I haven't paid much attention lately, which isn't good, and
>>> neither
>>> do I see the other mentors being involved, which I think is a even more
>>> serious
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> And I think only/mostly Steve now is churning out code, but with little/no
>>> mailing list interaction or discussion with others.
>>>
>>> So while possibly code-wise Streams might be doing alright (honestly: I
>>> have no
>>> clue), I see no progress at all in community development, more likely a
>>> decline...
>>>
>>> No releases either and I see no plan or any discussion for that matter.
>>>
>>> With this current state and lack of progress I really wonder what the
>>> for Apache Streams is, how it ever could get graduate from the incubator