streams-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: December 2015 Report - Streams future?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 08:00:26 GMT
Thanks for entering the report Steve.

I'll sign off and provide some mentor feedback as well later today.

What I do think and want to strongly suggest is that the Streams project isn't
so much lacking code or quality, but needs more 'presence'.

I know you've been presenting about Streams at conferences, but when a newbie
starts looking for Streams I expect them to quickly be turned off, because:
- the website isn't providing any practical guidance *why* or *how* to use Streams
- its missing concrete examples and recognizable use-cases for which Streams
might be used, nor comparison against other solutions, and why Streams would be
a good/better solution
- the Architecture page only has some basic wording but provides no insight
whatsoever about the concrete implementation and certainly not its architecture
- there is no public javadoc or other technical documentation linked/hosted
- there is a 'wiki (coming soon)' link which never has been activated
- the mailing list is NOT used for any form of discussion/information other than
JIRA and Git(hub) notifications
- especially the latter doesn't give a newbie any indication what is going on,
nor how to (start) interact
- there are no blog posts (that I am aware of) around using/trying out Streams
either

What I suggest is to for a while stop (or largely postpone) working on code but
instead working on any/all of the above points first...
Even working on a next release IMO is far less important than first building up
some explanation *why* a release of Stream is needed.

And I personally would prefer the dev@ list to be much more / primarily used for
actual human interaction, not just these notifications from JIRA and Github.
Maybe change the configuration to delegate (some of) these to the commit@ list
instead?

I hope the above suggestions makes sense.
Not everything might be needed but I really think something needs to be changed
soon about this to get Streams, as an Apache project, moving forward.

Kind regards,
Ate