streams-dev mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Streams version 0.1-incubating (rc3)
Date Sun, 25 Jan 2015 21:42:32 GMT
On Sun Jan 25 2015 at 4:02:32 PM Ate Douma <ate@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 2015-01-25 14:12, John D. Ament wrote:
> > Steve,
> >
> > Then more likely than not your license and notice files are not correct.
> Why?

If you have dependencies on non-AL artifacts, their licenses should be in
your license file.

Likewise your NOTICE should reflect these dependencies, in case of any
reciprocity requirements.

Here's how NIFI does it, which is pretty close to what you may need.
Again, I haven't looked at all of your dependencies to tell, but if you're
using things outside of maven central (though distributing via maven
central doesn't imply AL either mind you), there's a strong chance you have
non-AL dependencies in here (since this usually indicates a project that is
not very mature and simply guessed on a license to use).

https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/blob/develop/nifi/NOTICE
https://github.com/apache/incubator-nifi/blob/develop/nifi/LICENSE

> > I'm not even sure I saw a NOTICE in your bundle.
> Sure there is a NOTICE file in AFAIK every deployed artifact.
> Not sure what you mean with 'bundle' but if you refer to the source
> distribution: that one also contains the required NOTICE file.
>
> There is no hard or strict requirement that 3rd party (Maven) dependencies
> must
> come from Maven Central, even if it is preferred.
> Note also that Maven Central actually is owned and controlled by Sonatype,
> NOT
> the Maven project...

You're saying a lot more than what I said.  I said not good practice.

John