streams-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Ebanks <ryaneba...@gmail.com>
Subject LocalStreamBuilder#stop()
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 15:31:28 GMT
I've been added tests and fixing some issues in the local stream builder
class.  I need some input on how the stop() method should work so I can
write the appropriate tests.

Option 1.) Gentle Shutdown
Immediately stop the providers from producing more data, but allow for all
data currently in the stream to finish processing.  Shutdown time would be
unknown as a result.

Option 2.) Forceful Shutdown
Immediately stop the providers from producing more data, and stop all
processors/writers.  Data will be left in the pipeline will be discarded.
shutdown will be immediate

Option 2b) Forceful Shutdown after small wait
Immediately stop providers from producing more data.  Give the
processors/writers a small window to try to finish processing (< 10secs),
and if not finished, forcefully shutdown all processors/writers.

These options can be changed in the future as more features are added.  For
example once datum tracking is implemented, we will probably want a
combination of option 1 and 2b.  But we need a defined way for it work now,
so tests are testing the correct functionality.

-Ryan Ebanks