streams-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Douglas <robert.baker.doug...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: LocalStreamBuilder#stop()
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2014 15:55:49 GMT
Hi Ryan,

I think the most important thing is to ensure that anytime "stop()" is
called, the behavior is deterministic. When that method is called, we need
a guarantee that things will completely shut down in a reasonable amount of
time. However, I don't like the idea of just abandoning datums that are
already in the pipeline. If it's possible, I'd prefer to go with an
approach similar to option 2b. Completely shutdown the providers, and give
the Stream some time to attempt to process all currently queued datums.
However, after a certain period of time, I think that a forceful shutdown
needs to be executed regardless of the state of the pipeline.

-- Robert Douglas