streams-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan Ebanks <ryaneba...@gmail.com>
Subject Documentation & Testing
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:18:53 GMT
We need to do a better job of Documentation and Testing.  Way too many pull
requests are getting approved and merged in that contain no documentation
and minimal or no testing.  This needs to stop immediately.

I know documentation and testing is time consuming and not fun, but we
cannot push this off and hope someone will fix it the future.  I am
proposing the following minimal guidelines/rules for all future pull
requests.

*Documentation*
    1.) All pull requests contain adequate java docs
    2.) Java docs accurately reflect the code and are up to date

*Testing*
    1.) Test must test more than 'does it throw an exception'. (Most of the
serializers unit tests do                     exactly this)
    For newly added classes
        1.) All classes have unit tests and integration tests (when
necessary) or it is explicitly stated in            the pull request why
that class can't/won't be tested.
    For modifications to existing classes
        1.) Any method that you touch must have unit tests.  If none
currently exist you are responsible         for creating them.

If any of these extremely minimal requirements are not met, your pull
request will not be evaluated until it meets all of the requirements.  *Anyone
evaluating a pull request should verify these requirements before +1-ing
the request.  All apache committers should verify that these requirements
are met before merging requests too. *

These basic steps will drastically improve our code base, and make it
easier for the project to gain new contributors.

Sincerely,

Ryan Ebanks