streams-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Hager [W2O Digital]" <mha...@w2odigital.com>
Subject Re: Proposing Changes to the StreamsProvider interface and StreamsProviderTask
Date Thu, 12 Jun 2014 14:59:43 GMT
:+1: right now they have no way to talk to each other. Provider doesn't know when he is going
to be polled again and the builder implementation has no idea if the provider is done providing.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>> 'polled' in the manner that it is. This is further complicated by the
>>> excessive waiting caused by the current 'shutdown' the exists.
>>>
>>> There are essentially two major use-cases, that I can see, that are likely
>>> to take place. The first is a perpetual stream, that is technically never
>>> satisfied. The second, is the case of a finite stream (HDFS reader, S3
>>> reader, pulling a user's time-line, etc...) that has a definitive start
>>> and end. To solve these two models of execution here are my thoughts.
>>>
>>> StreamsResultSet - I actually found this to be quite useful paradigm. A
>>> queue prevents a buffer overflow, an iterator makes it fun and easy to
>>> read (I love iterators), and it is simple and succinct. I do, however,
>>> feel it is best expressed as an interface instead of a class. Personally I
>>> had to override almost every function to fit the concept of a 'finite'
>>> stream. Without an expensive tear-down cost. The thing missing from this,
>>> as an interface, would be the notion of "isRunning" which could easily
>>> satisfy both of the aforementioned modalities. (As Ryan suggested) I
>>> actually have a reference implementation of this for finite streams if
>>> anyone would like to see it or use it.
>>>
>>> Event Driven - I concur with Matt 100% on this. As currently implemented,
>>> LocalStreamsBuilder is exceedingly inefficient from a memory perspective
>>> and time execution perspective. To me, it seems, that we could almost
>>> abstract out 2 common interfaces to make this happen.
>>>
>>>      * Listener { receive(StreamsDatum); }
>>>      * Producer { push(StreamsDatum); registerListener(Listener); }
>>>
>>> Where the following implementations would place:
>>>
>>>      * Reader implements Producer
>>>      * Processor implements Producer, Listener
>>>      * Writer implements Listener
>>>
>>> In the reference implementations, you can still have queues that are in
>>> place that could actually function as meaningful indicators of system
>>> performance and status. IE: the queue functions as, well, an actually
>>> queue, and processes are much more asynchronous than they currently are
>>> now. Then, LocalStreamsBuilder strings all the guys up together in their
>>> nice little workflows and the events just shoot the little Datums down
>>> their paths until they wind up wherever they are supposed to go as quickly
>>> as possible.
>>>
>>> Pardon the long response, I tend to be wordy, great discussion and thanks
>>> to everyone for indulging my thoughts!
>>>

>>> Cheers!
>>> Smashew (Matthew Hager)
>>>

>>> Matthew Hager
>>> Director - Data Sciences Software
>>>
>>> W2O Digital
>>> 3000
>>> E Cesar Chavez St., Suite 300, Austin, Texas 78702
>>> direct 512.551.0891 | cell 512.949.9603
>>> twitter iSmashew
>>> <
>> http://cp.mcafee.com/d/5fHCN0pdEICzAQsLnpjpodTdFEIzDxRQTxNJd5x5Z5dB4srjhp
>>> 7f3HFLf6QrEzxPUV6XVKa5mO9-Q1hxeG4ycFWvOVIMDl2h6kZfVsSCUwMWUO_R-svhuKPRXBQS
>>> hPD8ETv7czKmKDp55mWavaxVZicHs3jq9JcTvAXTLuZXTKrKr01PciDfUYLAGaXgDVz3q7CiYv
>>> CT61ssesbNgGShfSxNxeG4ycFWvOUaFefWHjFgISgStoZGSS9_M04SyyYeodwLQzh05ERmHik2
>>> 9Ew4yuM8_gQgjGq89A_d40NefWHgbhGpAxYjh1a4_yXJLd46Mgd40NefWHgbhGpAxYgjJ2FIsY
>>> rVGx8qNRO> | linkedin Matthew Hager
>>> <
>> http://cp.mcafee.com/d/FZsSd6QmjhOqenHIFII6XCQQmhPMWWrMUSCyMy-yCOyedFEIzD
>>> xRQTDzqdQhMVYsztYT52Hp4_q0EMDl2h6kZfVsSojGx8zauDYKrjsgotspvW_efELnpWZOWr8V
>>> PAkrLzChTbnjIyyHt5fBgY-F6lK1FJcSCrLOtXTLuZXTdTdw0zVga-xa7bUJ6HIz_MPbP1ai1P
>>> NEVovpd78USxVAL7VJNwn73D2YkaJAjZEsojGx8zauDYK2Gjz-GQWkbdAdDmfqJJyvY01dEEL3
>>> C3obZ8Qg1qdlGQB0yq818DI2fQd44WCy2pfPh0cjz-GQ2QqCp8v4QgixfUKXrPh1I43h0cjz-G
>>> Q2QqCp8v44XgGr7f6_558nD-1>
>>> ŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠŠ

API.