streams-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <st...@blackmon.org>
Subject Re: New Generalized Extensions for ActivityStreams Schema
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 16:54:14 GMT
I think it's a worthwhile exercise to attempt to standardize
well-defined custom attributes across streams implementations.  I
think gender and authoritative metrics sourced from upstream (total
shares, likes as of some point in time) fall into that category.

I do think we should keep a barrier between a core activity (defined
by published spec) and usage of activity with additional designated
fields.  I'd like to see a pattern where individual contributed
modules can extend the core activity model and use bind-able jackson
objects generated from schemas so other contributed modules with an
asserted dependency can interact with the extended activity through a
more specific typed interface.

Since some of the specific concepts referred to in this thread are
global in nature i.e. not aligned directly to any specific module, i
suggest that we put the associated schema and supporting classes in a
streams-pojo-extensions module, which implementers can use if they
want to gain access to these fields, and not use if they prefer to
work with objects directly from the spec.

Steve