streams-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Blackmon <sblack...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Springcleaning Branch + Discussion
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 20:44:51 GMT
> I think we need another to document the architecture of these components
> and where to get started on the website.  Right now, the only diagram we
> have is the Camel one.

So let me say first that I hate writing documentation.  So much so
that it if it doesn't practically write
itself I usually don't bother.  But I agree it's essential to
encourage adoption and to help us hash
out how we want to actually use the activity streams spec, out of all
the ways it might be used.

I've been playing around looking for a light-weight interface that
could simultaneously help me
document the assumptions and output of individual streams serializers
and processors,
and serve as a planning tool for modules that are still on the drawing
board, and I think I've found
something that might work.

To get a sense for what that might look like, browse to this repo and
click into both submodules:
https://github.com/w2ogroup/streams-documentation

Basically README.md file (or some external site) embeds a png of a
mindmap generated from a MUP file,
which anyone can create or edit using http://www.mindmup.com/.  The
MUP files themselves reside under source
control as well.  MindMup is multi-user, powerful, easy to use, with
good keyboard shortcuts and
source code available under a liberal license.  The diagrams on that
site took about 10 minutes to create.
I can't imagine producing pictures nearly so robust in text-only, or
spending less than an hour trying.

Please let me know if you think this is a good idea, a terrible idea,
or something in between.

Steve Blackmon
sblackmon@apache.org