streams-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Continuing the Momentum
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2014 22:11:48 GMT
tl;dr version:

We need to discuss things on the list more and work to define streams,
update our public presence to support this definition and encourage
additional engagement.

Long version:

For those of you unaware, Steve Blackmon gave a nice talk on the work he
has been committing to Streams at ApacheCon.  As part of that talk and
follow on discussions, it became clear that we as a community need to do
some serious work to define ourselves, what we are building and why it is
valuable to the industry.

Our website says we are a Lightweight server for ActivityStreams.  While
this is true to some degree, I think recent contributions should refine
this.  The new code is really about supporting flexible processing,
persistence and retrieval of data in multiple runtimes using strongly
typed, normalized data formats like ActivityStreams.  Personally, I think
this slightly new direction is extremely compelling, and the reaction to
Steve's talk seems to support that.  The question remains how does the
community as a whole see the project?  What value is everyone wanting to
get out of this effort?

The fact that there are not clear answers (and corresponding documented
statements on the website) to these questions already means we are not
doing a great job of following the Apache Way.  The Apache Way is about the
community and meritocratic, community-based decision making.  The ASF
defines it as follows:

While there is not an official list, these six principles have been cited
as the core beliefs of philosophy behind the foundation, which is normally
referred to as "The Apache Way":

collaborative software development

commercial-friendly standard license

consistently high quality software

respectful, honest, technical-based interaction

faithful implementation of standards

security as a mandatory feature

All of the ASF projects share these principles.

Let's make sure we propose changes to the list, create tickets that support
wider efforts and leverage principles like lazy consensus to keep moving
forward in a way that supports the community.