streams-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Sullivan <dsulliv...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Switching Streams from Camel deployment to .war deployment
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2013 15:37:23 GMT
My argument is not for the IoC pattern as that can be (and has been) implemented alongside
Camel. My main argument is that the syntax at the entry point is not only familiar but much
simpler. This wouldn't be a very strong argument if the Camel implementation wasn't much more
complicated but I feel that it is the case. Also, looking toward the future, if the server
is restarted, in-routes are lost in Camel. The way to curb this is to persist the dynamic
routes that Camel creates, and then on start up pull every one of these routes and recreate
a dynamic route for each one. Not only is this much easier to implement using the Spring web
implementation, but it already has been implemented and you can try it by checking out the
webservice branch, registering a subscriber, restarting tomcat, and using the same url you
had before. This will allow subscribers to hang on to their urls once they register. (the
same is true for publishers: you can post via the same url after restarting tomcat)

> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 11:00:21 -0400
> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Switching Streams from Camel deployment to .war deployment
> From: jletourneau80@gmail.com
> To: dev@streams.incubator.apache.org
>
> To be fair, while the current implementation is heavily camel-based,
> all of the interfaces related to Streams functionality are not.  The
> current model maps to what Matt has outlined in my opinion, though
> packing names etc. probably don't follow that exact pattern.
>
> With regards to the complexity and different components in the
> registration process, this was a cut at the abstraction based on the
> assumption that different implementations may be plugged in and in
> fact may live on different processor space (ie. a polling publisher vs
> a push publisher may be instantiated on different servers but the
> registration URL is staticly defined).
>
> Is the main argument I am seeing for Spring  the familiarity of its
> IoC pattern implementation and syntax at the entry point?
>
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Danny Sullivan <dsullivan7@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Could you clarify whether the same entry points would exist for the camel implementation
of the core (implementing the "process" method/ using a DynammicRouteBuilder) or would the
webservice be the sole entry point to Streams and after it enters would it hand it off to
Camel? And what would be the entry point for the Storm implementation?