streams-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Sullivan <dsulliv...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Using Camel for Routing
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 00:35:39 GMT
Hey Chris,
Thanks for the response. The way Streams is currently implemented, Camel provides both entry
and exit endpoints to the application. These are either dynamic (when a publisher or subscriber
is registered) or defined in the camel context. Camel also provides routing from component
to component once publishers (ActivityConsumers) and subscribers (ActivitySubscribers) are
created. Because these classes are serialized so that they can be routed in Camel, it made
sense to me to keep these objects as they are and pass them from class to class via method
calls (as opposed of using "from" and "to" in the camel context). The reason I chose a Spring
Web Service as opposed to any other library is because Spring is already in use in the application
and it is what is familiar to me. With the use of a Spring MVC all of the entry and exit points
will be in one Web Controller class and the user can follow an activity all the way through
the application.
I don't think adding Cassandra and Zookeeper will add too much ease of use issues to the application.
To incorporate storm (and zookeeper), all that's needed is a dependency in the pom, there
is no added software that is needed by the user. Cassandra on the the other hand does require
the user to download the Cassandra software, so you're correct in that regard. I'd really
like to embed Cassandra into the application and is one of the tasks I'd like to work on.
Is there a reason that you would recommend CFX as opposed to Spring MVC? I'm all for researching
alternatives to a Spring MVC if you think it will be easier and lighter.
What do you mean by access to various services like Twitter and Facebook? Are these services
that we would not get access to if we switched from Camel?
Thanks again for the feedback!
Danny