streams-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Sullivan <dsulliv...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Using Camel for Routing
Date Fri, 04 Oct 2013 20:07:06 GMT
I wrote up something quickly so I could demo the functionality as a web service as opposed
to Camel. The new branch is available here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/streams/branches/webservice/
note that the new publishing and subscribing urls are:
http://localhost:8080/streams-web/app/publisherRegisterhttp://localhost:8080/streams-web/app/subscriberRegister
I used a Spring Web Service only because I was more familiar with it, I would like to research
other alternatives (CXF) if it's clear that a web service is a realistic alternative. The
main changes to the application are the web controller located here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/streams/branches/webservice/streams-web/src/main/java/org/apache/streams/mvc/controller/StreamsWebController.java
Which handles the input and output of the application, which were handled by the camel context
before. The other main change is the use of the streams-components module located here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/streams/branches/webservice/streams-components/
This module contains service classes that return the correct output on each request sent to
the controller. I reused the Publisher and Subscriber objects as well as the activityConsumerWarehouse
and activitySubscriberWarehouse, I think they would be moved to the streams-components package
if we want to go this route.
Overall, I think the flow through the application is much more understandable. Previously,
a developer would have to follow an activity through the camelContext.xml as well as through
dynamically created routes verses the web service which provides clear entry and exit points
to the application. I'd really like to hear feedback on this one, I really don't want to lose
any efficiencies that we could be from messaging/osgi/camel/activemq.
Thanks,
Danny

> From: dsullivan7@hotmail.com
> To: dev@streams.incubator.apache.org
> Subject: RE: Using Camel for Routing
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 20:17:13 -0400
>
> Thanks for the update Jason. I'll keep the Spring MVC app in a separate branch (hopefully
it won't take too long) and then perhaps we can reassess having both component and web container
deployment? I think it's a good idea to keep both options in mind especially because this
technology is relatively young.