streams-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Using Camel for Routing
Date Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:55:10 GMT
I agree with Jason personally, flexibility and scalability trumps simple.

That being said, I honestly don't have enough time right now to spend
developing on my vision so it's unfair of me to push too hard in that
direction. If the active developers want to go down the single service path
maybe that's the approach for now and we can potentially look at
alternatives down the road.

Chris

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Jason Letourneau
<jletourneau80@gmail.com>wrote:

> I think this comes down to a fundamental question - how flexible vs
> simple do people want the deployment and configuration of Streams to
> be?
>
> Personally, as I've said, I prefer flexible over simple, but I think
> the current architecture reaches a happy medium with the WAR
> deployment option.
>
> If the majority wants simple over flexible, then perhaps the web
> service architecture you've proposed is the way to go.  I think its
> worth putting to vote.
>
> Jason
>
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Danny Sullivan <dsullivan7@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> >
> > I'm trying to do a little more research in the efficiency between both
> the
> > web-service and the camel implementations of streams. I set up Apache
> JMeter
> > (http://jmeter.apache.org/) to do some load testing on both setups. I
> set up
> > JMeter to make 1000 POST requests sending valid activitystrea.msformatted
> > json to a single publisher url over the course of 5 seconds. I've
> attached
> > .csv files that give the average response the results, but I found that
> the
> > web service was .4 seconds faster on average. My concern is that these
> > results may not be consistent for the bigger use cases, and Camel may be
> > faster when deployed to multiple servers. It seems though that for early
> use
> > cases, the web service would be faster.
> >
> > I do want to make Streams as fast and as scalable as possible and I
> > appreciate the patience you guys are giving me through through this big
> > design change proposal. I would be happy to try a different load test
> setup
> > and, as always, would be happy to hear thoughts on the two
> implementations.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -Danny
> >
> >> Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 18:49:02 -0400
> >
> >> Subject: Re: Using Camel for Routing
> >> From: jletourneau80@gmail.com
> >> To: dev@streams.incubator.apache.org
> >>
> >> I think it depends on how you define 'no problem' - deployment
> >> infrastructure is a big part of that - messaging provides more
> flexibility
> >> in deployment and capability additions at different layers of the
> >> application vs a single web app and a shotgun approach to evolving it
> >>
> >> I agree it should still be on the table as we define what is most
> >> important
> >> to this community

> still
> scalable