streams-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Geer <ch...@cxtsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Using Camel for Routing
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2013 17:11:23 GMT
Jason,

I agree with you. I guess my vision of streams was a little grander in the
long run where you could configure the system to accept input from various
sources (facebook, twitter...) and process them in certain ways. So it
would have components that would know how to talk with Twitter and convert
tweets to activities then send it to the right process. So depending on how
you configure your system, it would create the proper routes from component
to component to allow processing dynamically which would require a
framework like Camel (don't think Storm helps us here since it's a compile
time configuration to my understanding). The nice thing about something
like camel is it allows you to reconfigure all the routes at runtime. This
is another reason I liked OSGI support as well as it allows deploying new
components without restarting the server (webapp). Of course to scale it
would require being able to deploy the configuration across multiple
machines which gets fun.

Maybe my vision is too big for this project but it's where my head has been
at.

Chris