streams-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Sullivan <dsulliv...@hotmail.com>
Subject Use of ActiveMQ
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2013 19:18:28 GMT
Hey Everyone,
Is there a reason to use ActiveMQ in Streams at all? I noticed the following in the streamsCamelContext.xml:
<!--split activities on Q, waiting for aggregation -->        <route>
   <from uri="direct:activityQ"/>            <inOnly uri="activemq:queue:activities"/>
       </route>
        <route>            <from uri="activemq:queue:activities"/>
<aggregate completionInterval="500" groupExchanges="true">                <correlationExpression>
                   <constant>true</constant>                </correlationExpression>
               <bean ref="activityService" method="receiveExchange"/>            </aggregate>
       </route>

I replace this with the following and got the same functionality:
<!--split activities on Q, waiting for aggregation -->        <route>
   <from uri="direct:activityQ"/>            <aggregate completionInterval="500"
groupExchanges="true">                <correlationExpression>
<constant>true</constant>                </correlationExpression>
         <bean ref="activityService" method="receiveExchange"/>            </aggregate>
       </route>
This makes sense conceptually because what we currently have is a POST method reaching the
server and being sent to the same server via JMS. Is there a reason to use a messaging system
rather than have the streams sent and received via http? Either Camel or Spring MVC should
be able to accomplish this. What I'd like to do is set up single endpoints for publisher registration,
subscriber registration, publishing streams, and receiving streams in Camel (because Storm
unfortunately doesn't look like it provides support for http routing). Storm would process
all the data coming in from Camel and output it to the Cassandra DB. Receiving streams would
operate much in the same way it currently does: by refreshing the stream from the database.

Danny