streams-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Sullivan <dsulliv...@hotmail.com>
Subject Integration with Storm and Cassandra Java Driver
Date Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:19:58 GMT
The Storm Project, http://storm-project.net/, would add processing of ActivityStreamsEntry
objects to Apache Streams (make it faster). Storm has integration support for Cassandra. There
is an available Java Driver to hook up Storm and Cassandra available here: https://github.com/ptgoetz/storm-cassandra.
While I think it is a good idea to add Storm to Streams, Cassandra recommends using CQL3 as
an interface from applications to the database which moves away from older thrift clients:
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ClientOptions. These older thrift clients include Astyanax
and Hector (I have had experience incorporating both into the project, with varied success).
The newer client which relies on CQL3 support is the Datastax Java Driver: https://github.com/datastax/java-driver.
I've looked into the Datastax driver and have been very pleased with the CQL support. However,
it is not very far along in the development process and doesn't have an object mapper and
I'm cautious adopting a product so early in its development.
If we were to integrate Storm and Streams would we want to use the storm-cassandra driver
or should we look into adding the Datastax driver which has better CQL support?
Danny