streams-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Sullivan <dsulliv...@hotmail.com>
Subject Subscriber/ Publisher handling of activity
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 19:40:57 GMT
Will publishers or subscribers be in charge or making sure that only specific activity stream
entries make it to a certain queue?
If publishers are in charge, I would imagine that there would exist a list of all subscribers
for each publisher. Then each activity published would be added to all the subscribers in
that publishers subscriber list.
If subscribers are in charge, each subscriber would have a list of publishers he/she is subscribed
to. Then on some sort of timer, the list would be iterated through and all activity entires
not already consumed by that subscriber would be outputted.
Looking at the application architecture here: http://streams.incubator.apache.org/architecture.html
It looks like all activity is passed through a single queue. If this is going to be the implementation
going forward, I would think it would make more sense for subscribers to handle the filtering.
That would make it so that all activity entires could be dumped in a single database by the
publishers and activity could be extracted and filtered based on some list kept by each individual
subscriber. Let me know if this sounds like it aligns with the direction of the project. I
would like to have the functionality to allow subscribers to get only specific messages that
are published.