streams-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Franklin <m.ben.frank...@gmail.com>
Subject ApacheCon Recap & Next Steps
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2013 15:41:34 GMT
For all of you who missed it, Craig gave a nice intro into what we are
trying to accomplish with Streams at Apachecon [1].  At the conference
there was a fair bit of interest and what seemed to me like potential
alignment; however, there are some serious issues to discuss and work
to resolution.  The issues I heard are as follows:

1) Everyone is interested, few are engaged.
    There are quite a few people who could use this software, but
aside from Jason, we really haven't seen much activity in development
or architecture.

2) The current code is not easy to engage with
    We need to lay out tutorials on how to get started and discuss
general architecture and package structure

3) We need processing pipelines for incoming and outgoing activities
    How these pipelines are created, managed (workflow?), parallelized
and augmented by custom components needs to be discussed

4) We need to support some kind of persistence
   Most people want to do ad-hoc querying rather than direct
subscription notification (though both should be supported IMO), but
we need persistence, indexes & a whole lot of thought to make this a
reality

5) Dependencies need help
   Someone brought up that all of our dependencies are versions old
and need to be upgraded

Anyone have any thoughts on these issues and how we as a community can
move past them?  Did anyone else have other issues to add to the list?

-Matt

[1]: http://archive.apachecon.com/na2013/presentations/26-Tuesday/Tapping_The_Stream/11:15-Apache%20Streams:%20Enterprise%20Social%20Integration.pdf