streams-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Streams Subscriptions
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 00:53:25 GMT
Welcome Steve!

DataSift's UI to set these things up is indeed pretty cool.  I think what
we're talking about here is more what the internal REST APIs between the UI
and the back end might look like.

I also think we should deliberately separate the filter definition of a
"subscription" from the instructions on how the data gets delivered.  I
could see use cases for any or all of:
* Polling with a filter on oldest date of interest
* Webhook that gets updated at some specified interval
* URL to which the Streams server would periodically POST
  new activities (in case I don't have webhooks set up)

Separately, looking at DataSift is a reminder we will want to be able to
filter on words inside an activity stream value like "subject" or
"content", not just on the entire value.

Craig

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Jason Letourneau
<jletourneau80@gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > instructions you gave it as new messages meet the filter you defined.  In
> > addition, once a stream exists, then you can set up listeners on that
> > specific hash via web sockets with the hash.
> >
> > For example, here is how you instruct DataSift to push new messages
> > meeting your criteria to a WebHooks end-point.
> >
> > curl -X POST 'https://api.datasift.com/push/create' \
> > -d 'name=connectorhttp' \
> > -d 'hash=dce320ce31a8919784e6e85aecbd040e' \
> > -d 'output_type=http' \
> > -d 'output_params.method=post' \
> > -d 'output_params.url=http.example.com:8888' \
> > -d 'output_params.use_gzip' \
> > -d 'output_params.delivery_frequency=60' \
> > -d 'output_params.max_size=10485760' \
> > -d 'output_params.verify_ssl=false' \
> > -d 'output_params.auth.type=none' \
> > -d 'output_params.auth.username=YourHTTPServerUsername' \
> > -d 'output_params.auth.password=YourHTTPServerPassword' \
> > -H 'Auth: datasift-user:your-datasift-api-key
> >

> > Now new messages get pushed to me every 60 seconds, and I can get the
> feed
> > in real-time like this:
> >
> > var websocketsUser = 'datasift-user';
> > var websocketsHost = 'websocket.datasift.com';
> > var streamHash = 'dce320ce31a8919784e6e85aecbd040e';
> > var apiKey = 'your-datasift-api-key';
> >

> > var ws = new
> >
> WebSocket('ws://'+websocketsHost+'/'+streamHash+'?username='+websocketsUser
> > +'&api_key='+apiKey);
> >
> > ws.onopen = function(evt) {
> >     // connection event
> >         $("#stream").append('open: '+evt.data+'<br/>');
> > }
> >
> > ws.onmessage = function(evt) {
> >     // parse received message
> >         $("#stream").append('message: '+evt.data+'<br/>');
> > }
> >
> > ws.onclose = function(evt) {
> >     // parse event
> >         $("#stream").append('close: '+evt.data+'<br/>');
> > }
> >
> > // No event object is passed to the event callback, so no useful
> debugging
> > can be done
> > ws.onerror = function() {
> >     // Some error occurred
> >         $("#stream").append('error: '+evt.data+'<br/>');
> > }
> >

> > At W2OGroup we have built utility libraries for receiving and processing
> > Json object streams from data sift in Storm/Kafka that I'm interested in
> > extending to work with Streams, and can probably commit to the project if
> > the community would find them useful.
> >

> > Steve Blackmon
> > Director, Data Sciences
> >
> > 101 W. 6th Street
> > Austin, Texas 78701
> > cell 512.965.0451 | work 512.402.6366
> > twitter @steveblackmon
> >

> > On 1/31/13 5:45 PM, "Craig McClanahan" <craigmcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>We'll probably want some way to do the equivalent of ">", ">=", "<",
> "<=",
> >>and "!=" in addition to the implicit "equal" that I assume you mean in

OR