streams-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Streams Subscriptions
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 21:32:54 GMT
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Jason Letourneau
<jletourneau80@gmail.com>wrote:

> I am curious on the group's thinking about subscriptions to activity
> streams.  As I am stubbing out the end-to-end heartbeat on my proposed
> architecture, I've just been working with URL sources as the
> subscription mode.  Obviously this is a way over-simplification.
>
> I know for shindig the social graph can be used, but we don't
> necessarily have that.  Considering the mechanism for establishing a
> new subscription stream (defined as aggregated individual activities
> pulled from a varying array of sources) is POSTing to the Activity
> Streams server to establish the channel (currently just a
> subscriptions=url1,url2,url3 is the over simplified mechanism)...what
> would people see as a reasonable way to establish subscriptions?  List
> of userIds? Subjects?  How should these be represented?  I was
> thinking of a JSON object, but any one have other thoughts?
>
> Jason

One idea would be take some inspiration from how JIRA lets you (in effect)
create a WHERE clause that looks at any fields (in all the activities
flowing through the server) that you want.

Example filter criteria
* provider.id = 'xxx' // Filter on a particular provider
* verb = 'yyy'
* object.type = 'blogpost'
and you'd want to accept more than one value (effectively creating OR or IN
type clauses).

For completeness, I'd want to be able to specify more than one filter
expression in the same subscription.

Craig