streams-dev mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Getting Started with Incubation
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2012 01:08:26 GMT
On 12/04/2012 02:29 AM, Matt Franklin wrote:
> The purpose of going through incubation is to ensure that we as a
> community are operating under the Apache Way.  This means a few
> different things, including decision making, branding, legal
> compliance, and community development.  Rather than go through each of
> these principles here, I have included links to resources that those
> of you who are new to Apache should take some time reviewing
> [1][2][3].
>
> Now that we have or have requested the basic resources we need to
> operate as a project, we can get on with the show.  Throughout the
> course of the project, there will be many decisions that we need to
> make as  a community.  The ones that I think we should tackle first as
> 'warm up' exercises are as follows:
>
> 1) What type of Wiki?  ASF Infra has two different types available:
> MoinMoin & Confluence.  There are tradeoff for each; but, Infra's
> preference trends toward MoinMoin due to its management simplicity.
> That doesn't disqualify Confluence, but something to be aware of.

I personally prefer MoinMoin because exactly its simplicity and better/simpler
support from infra. Confluence certainly looks nicer and is easier to create
nice looking pages with, but I don't find that a benefit really as I think the
main and user-oriented content should be on the main site. But I'm not against
choosing Confluence either, as long as we keep the purposes of what belongs to
the site and what on the wiki straight and clear.

> 2) Logo.  We need a project logo for Apache Streams.  Anyone have suggestions?

I like the suggestion you just send of a mountain with streams coming together
into a river front.
I will also ask at the office if I can 'borrow' our new UI designer to come up
with one or two suggestions (no promises yet: he's *very* occupied).

> 3) Committer/PMC metadata.  Infra is still working on the website; but
> as soon as it is ready to go, we need to figure out a process & place
> for storing committer information.  This may tie into later
> discussions about build tools.
>
> These 3 things are minor, but a good way to break the ice for the project.
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/index.html
> [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/new-committers-guide.html
> [3] http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

4) We need to provide our first Incubator report [5] by tomorrow. I don't have
time left today to draft something up, but if nobody else beats me to it before
tomorrow evening, I'll can write up something simple (we only got started, not
much to report anyway).

[5] wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2012

Ate