streampipes-dev mailing list archives

From Dominik Riemer <rie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Unify the release artifacts?
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2021 11:01:27 GMT
Hi,

sounds that there is a strong preference towards merging all three repos.

So I guess there are at least two open questions:
* @Chris Should we have a vote on this? I think that removing a source repo requires a vote
as per ASF rules?
* How do we technically merge the repos? It would be nice to preserve the Git history, but
I'm not sure how we can handle this as I assume there are also a few branches that would need
to be merged into individual branches of the core project.

Any thoughts and experiences are welcome!

Dominik

On 2021/07/21 11:52:56, Patrick Wiener <wiener@apache.org> wrote:
> +1 for merging everything into one code base including the installation options.
>
> It’s related anyways and would also make maintaining and developing things much easier
>
> Patrick
>
> > Am 21.07.2021 um 13:44 schrieb Dominik Riemer <riemer@apache.org>:
> >
> > Just a second-thought addition:
> > Maybe we should indeed consider to also merge the whole installer into the core
project - I think most users will survive downloading a larger bundle and we should probably
try to make the release process as simple as possible so that we can have future releases
more frequently and also don't require a 6-week release process.

> > Dominik
> >
> > On 2021/07/21 11:32:22, Dominik Riemer <riemer@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Hi Chris,
> >>
> >> thanks for bringing this up and a strong +1 for simplifying the release process.
> >>
> >> We already had this discussion in the past and didn't follow up on this.
> >>
> >> My preference would be to merge the incubator-streampipes-extensions project
into the main project to have a single build for the whole project. Concerning the installer,
I'd rather prefer to keep it as a standalone project as this should be just a minimal-size
artifact to provide installation scripts for Docker, K8s and the CLI. But as the installer
doesn't work anyways at release validation time as the artifacts are not yet available, it
could be a separate vote process and we could also easily reduce the frequency of releases
by pointing to the latest release in the version tag.