streampipes-dev mailing list archives

From Philipp Zehnder <zehn...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Version number in documentation
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:27:47 GMT
Hi all,

we received a pull request for our documentation with some minor changes. One of them was
an update of the version number of StreamPipes in the maven archetype commands.

Now the question came up whether we should use the current version number in the command (or
the documentation in general) [Example 1] or a template [Example 2]

The advantages of Example 1 are that developers can just copy and past it, which makes it
easier to use. But since the version numbers have to be updated on each release it is harder
to maintain.
Also when we forget to update it developers might get strange errors since their backend version
and processor version might not be compatible.
Example 2 is easier to maintain, but developers have to change it every time they use it.

What do you think? What do you prefer or are there any alternative ideas?

Example 1:
mvn archetype:generate                                           \
  -DarchetypeGroupId=org.streampipes                             \
  -DarchetypeArtifactId=streampipes-archetype-pe-processors-jvm  \
  -DarchetypeVersion=0.65.0

Example 2:
mvn archetype:generate                                           \
  -DarchetypeGroupId=org.streampipes                             \
  -DarchetypeArtifactId=streampipes-archetype-pe-processors-jvm  \
  -DarchetypeVersion={sp.version}

Cheers,
Philipp