streampipes-dev mailing list archives

From Dominik Riemer <rie...@fzi.de>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Version number in documentation
Date Fri, 13 Dec 2019 10:43:50 GMT
Hi,
from my point of view, it should be as simple as possible for users. This means that we don‘t
expect them to know how to replace variables.
So IMO, we should create a wiki page with a pre-release checklist and an item that remembers
us to update the version numbers in the documentation (and where).

I haven‘t checked in a while Docusaurus support for environment variables, maybe there is
also another option by now that allows us to automate this process.

Dominik

> Am 13.12.2019 um 11:27 schrieb Philipp Zehnder <zehnder@apache.org>:
>
> Hi all,
>
> we received a pull request for our documentation with some minor changes. One of them
was an update of the version number of StreamPipes in the maven archetype commands.

> Now the question came up whether we should use the current version number in the command
(or the documentation in general) [Example 1] or a template [Example 2]

> The advantages of Example 1 are that developers can just copy and past it, which makes
it easier to use. But since the version numbers have to be updated on each release it is harder
to maintain.
> Also when we forget to update it developers might get strange errors since their backend
version and processor version might not be compatible.