streampipes-dev mailing list archives

From "Dominik Riemer" <rie...@apache.org>
Subject Draft Board Report January
Date Mon, 30 Dec 2019 15:10:45 GMT
Hi all,

please find below our draft board report for January – it would be great if
you could have a quick look and add more things in case something is
missing.

BTW, the draft report for January does not list StreamPipes
(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/January2020) – do we
need to change anything in podlings.xml or somewhere else? AFAIR, the list
of projects to report is auto-generated and therefore should have included
StreamPipes? I'm not sure if we break anything in case we just add it
manually to the report.

Dominik

## StreamPipes

StreamPipes is a self-service (Industrial) IoT toolbox to enable non-
technical users to connect, analyze and explore (Industrial) IoT data
streams.

StreamPipes has been incubating since 2019-11-11.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating:

  1. Finish license review of third-party dependencies
  2. Make a first Apache release
  3. Grow the community

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?
There are no issues right now.

### How has the community developed since the last report?
Although our priority in the last reporting period was on finishing the
initial setup, there are some notable things regarding community
development:
- A few new people appeared on the mailing list expressing their interest to
contribute to StreamPipes
- A first pull request from an external committer was merged
- Many users appeared on the Slack channel or sent emails and asked
questions around the installation/usage of StreamPipes, we hope that some of
them will consider to contribute in the future
- We met people from two companies and talked about the possibility to
contribute to StreamPipes
- The number of Twitter followers has increased (currently at 94)
- The number of Github stars has increased (currently at 102)

Community development will be the focus of the next reporting period.

### How has the project developed since the last report?
We finished the initial setup:
* The website is now online at streampipes.apache.org, and we added pages
that explain how to participate in the project
* All Git repos were transferred to the ASF
* Setup of several CI/CD pipelines based on Github Actions to build the
website and code
* Setup of a CI/CD pipeline in the ASF Jenkins to publish snapshots to the
ASF Nexus
* Finished setup of Jira and migrated old issues from the previous Gitlab to
Jira
* Finished setup of the StreamPipes Confluence space and moved existing
content to Confluence
* Currently, we are finishing a license review to properly create LICENSE
and NOTICE files
* Having completed the initial setup, we are now shifting the focus back to
feature development

In the next month, we plan to work towards the first Apache release and also
intensify work on community development.

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  - [] Initial setup
  - [x] Working towards first release
  - [x] Community building
  - [ ] Nearing graduation
  - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

  XXXX-XX-XX

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?
No new committers were elected beyond the initial committers. Two people
mentioned on the mailing list that they might be willing to contribute to
StreamPipes.

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?
Are things falling through the cracks? If so, please list any open issues
that need to be addressed.

Our mentors are very responsive and provide good feedback. They provided
very good guidance during the initial setup phase of the project, thanks a
lot. We would also like to thank the people from INFRA who were very
responsive and helpful in getting some issues resolved during the transition
phase.

### Is the PPMC managing the podling's brand / trademarks?
Are 3rd parties respecting and correctly using the podlings name and brand?
If not what actions has the PPMC taken to correct this? Has the VP, Brand
approved the project name?

* The project name StreamPipes got approved by VP, Brand on December 2nd.

### Signed-off-by:

  - [ ] (streampipes) Christofer Dutz
     Comments:
  - [ ] (streampipes) Jean-Baptiste Onofré
     Comments:
  - [ ] (streampipes) Julian Feinauer
     Comments:
  - [ ] (streampipes) Justin Mclean