stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Lakmal Warusawithana <lak...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Stratos 5.0 - Ignite Architecture
Date Wed, 13 Apr 2016 00:59:48 GMT
Hi Devs,

Couple of time community were discussed about Stratos refacing to carter
new technology and threads. Yesterday I have met (unplanned meeting) few
PMC/committers (Lakmal, Imesh, Akila, Chamilad, IsuruH) offline and
discussed and came up $subject. Please share your valuable thoughts and
feedback.

Stratos 4.x and previous versions are mainly focused on run application on
top of IaaS. To support multiple IaaSes, we used apache jclouds. But rise
of the container technology future app dev and deployment will couple with
containers not VM. Because of that we have integrated k8s support in
Stratos 4.1.x release. But if we carefully looked at 4.1.x and new k8s
releases, we are adding additional layer to k8s without any benefits.
Personally I don't like to duplicate engineering effort if it does not
giving any value to community. This is the background that we thought of
why Stratos need refacing.

Stratos 5.0 - proposing name "Ignite Architecture", we though of fully
focus on container based application development/deployment.

‚Äč
We do not want to reinvent or compete with current PaaS providers. We
propose to change the strategy to support multi PaaS instead of support
multiple IaaS(Stratos 4.x). In high level, Stratos will provide unique
workflow across deferent PaaS to deploy apps. Users are not going to tie up
with PaaS vendors, they will have flexibility to use any PaaS. Stratos will
play a role in-between PaaS and SaaS. Initially we can start with k8s
(since we all have domain knowledge) then will add Mesos, CF, ECS etc
support.

User experience should be very simple. One main problem I have seen in all
of these PaaS, their technologies are very complicate to understand average
user.

This is total rewrite of Stratos. We discussed to rewrite with GO, main
reason Stratos itself should run in-side a container.

Please share your thoughts.

p.s: @(Imesh, Akila, Chamilad, IsuruH) please add if I missed anything.

--
Lakmal Warusawithana