stratos-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Eppel (meppel)" <mep...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: [Grouping][Part-2] Composite Application Dependency Tree building based in Autoscaler
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2014 17:33:55 GMT
Hi Reka,

Are you suggesting to replace the current startupOrder definition with the one mentioned below
?

"startupOrder" : [
         {
            "start":"aa",
            "after":"bb"
         }
         ]

Replaced with

"startupOrders": [
          "mypostgresGroup, myphp",
          "mysqlGroup, mytomcat",
          "mytomcat, myapimanager",
          "mytomcat, myesb"
      ]

I have a couple of questions,

1.      If we use the cartridge alias and the group alias in the group  / application dependency
definition how will it work when we auto scale groups ?  My current  understanding is that
to get group scaling to work we would need 2 parameters – group name (==group.name) and
group instance id (== group.alias), one static and one dynamic. So I would think we’ll have
to define the application dependencies and group dependencies based on the name and not the
alias, but, during run time we have to calculate the dependencies based on the alias.

I think is important to make the distinction between group type (or name,) and group instance
Id, without it we won’t be able to implement group scaling, wdyt ?

IMHO the startupOrders in composite application and group definitions (json ) should look
like

"startupOrders": [
“postgresGroup, php",
"sqlGroup, tomcat",
"tomcat, apimanager",
"tomcat, esb”
]

while the runtime representation of the logical relationship model for each group or cartridge
should use the corresponding aliases  (or instance Id) so the monitor will reference the aliases
(or instance Ids) while the json application / group definition will reference the group name
(or type) and cartridge type to define the dependencies, WDYT ?

2.      If for example a cartridge has multiple dependencies we would just add another line
to the the startupOrders :
               e.g.  postgresGroup depends on php and abc would be represented by:
            "startupOrders": [
                 "postgresGroup, php",
                  "postgresGroup, “abc”
                   ….
              ]

Otherwise I think the proposal looks good,  +1

Thanks

Martin