stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Chamila De Alwis <chami...@wso2.com>
Subject Test Automation for Python Cartridge Agent development
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2014 05:08:29 GMT
Hi,

For $subject, the following can be proposed.

The main test cases that are concerned with python cartridge agent
development is discussed in the thread titled "MQTT Messaging + Python
Cartridge Agent Testing Strategy". With the following setup I intend to
cover the scenarios where messaging capabilities of the agent in an end to
end level has to be tested.

The prerequisites that should be setup as the automated environment is
mainly three parts.

1) Stratos installation - This is for the most part, a fixed element since
the agent will be tested against a single released/will be released version
2) Message broker + MySQL server - These are fixed and separate from the
Stratos element, to be reused over different installations
3) Puppet master (additional)

The requirement is to subscribe to a cartridge and wait for the (ex: )
InstanceActivatedEvent to be published from the cartridge agent.

IaaS
===

After a brief consideration over the different choices it seems, at this
moment, Docker is the best choice when it comes to spawning instances. It
is faster and easier to setup and maintain. Plus, there is already a VM
image with an OpenStack installation configured with Docker.

Test Tool
======
For the messaging scope, initially a tool can be written to subscribe and
wait for a set of anticipated events within the member time out value, and
report success or failure of the test.

Fixed Elements
=========
Vagrant boxes with pre-installed Stratos, MB, MySQL and Puppet master can
be configured to be taken up when a test suite starts. Stratos Docker image
is having a blocking issue for the moment, therefore, Vagrant the next best
thing.

This is the initial setup I have in mind. Hopefully we can build upon this
to come up with a comprehensive test automation environment for stratos.
WDYT? Any suggestions, corrections?

Regards,
Chamila de Alwis
Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163