stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Direct docker support from Stratos
Date Fri, 06 Jun 2014 06:14:16 GMT
Hi Lakmal,

Thanks for bringing this up.

I went through CoreOS and its providing the exact functionality as you have
mentioned with "Stratos IaaS" to manage a fleet of docker containers in a
cluster of hosts [1]:

​
https://coreos.com/using-coreos/

Core OS support most of the modern cloud providers and platforms a PaaS
needs:
https://coreos.com/docs/

Core OS seems to be open source:
https://github.com/coreos

I do not think anything prevents us trying it out. Great stuff.

Thanks

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Lakmal Warusawithana <lakmal@wso2.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the current architecture, CC communicate with different IaaS via APIs.
> Like EC2, OpenStack, vCloud ..etc. We are using jClouds as abstraction
> layer.
>
> First of all why we are looking for direct docker support?
>
>    - To minimize the complexity of having third part IaaS requirement.
>    - To have high utilization for clouds.
>    - Enhance developer experience
>    - Docker provide universal cartridge model for Stratos.
>
> Do we looking at direct docker support for only development env?
>
>    - My POV, No.
>    - If we are looking this only, we may use CC to spin docker in same
>    host. (this is what currently are are doing as R&D)
>

> I like to propose following architecture for several reasons.
>

> ​
>

>    - First we need to have clean implantation. Stratos IaaS should
>    consider light weight tiny IaaS.
>    - One other question may arise, why do not used existing IaaS which
>    support docker.  Yes are are supporting that, but some cases we may need
>    very simple IaaS which support light weight docker.  (without bringing
>    complexity from third party IaaS )
>    - Stratos IaaS only support docker and simple set of features that
>    Stratos required.
>    - We can see this as simple docker IaaS. (later we may create sub
>    project if devs interested)
>    - Also I like to make your attention on CoreOS (https://coreos.com/),
>    which is awesome project, we may used it as default docker OS.
>

> Please share your thoughts.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Vice President, Apache Stratos
> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Imesh Gunaratne

Technical Lead, WSO2
Committer & PPMC Member, Apache Stratos