stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Maria Beckham <mariabeckha...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Fw: tomcat and mysql cartridge(Please respond)
Date Thu, 26 Jun 2014 18:25:54 GMT
Dinesh,

I am aware of this. As conveyed in my earlier mails, if thats the case, why mysql is not handled
in this way? why only java

________________________________
 From: Dinesh Bandara <dineshb@wso2.com>
To: dev <dev@stratos.apache.org>; Maria Beckham <mariabeckham77@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 26, 2014 10:54 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: tomcat and mysql cartridge(Please respond)

Puppet master should be configured manually with relevant binary packs which required for
installing the service. Please refer [1]. Then puppet agent in cartridge instance will download
packs form puppet master.

[1] http://docs.puppetlabs.com/puppet/latest/reference/modules_fundamentals.html#example

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Maria Beckham <mariabeckham77@yahoo.com> wrote:

Just forwarding the below question again, in case, it has not been received.

> [...]
puppet scripts? Or one should download manually the needed software(like oracle for example)
to that location before it needs installed through puppet scripts?

>________________________________

to. Assume that your cartridge instance required to install cartridge agent, first it will
be download into /mnt/packs/ and then installed into /mnt/

>if so, we have our own internal repository thats used company wide.
>>

>>how can we make this happen rrom our internal shared rep to extract needed binaries
for the respective cartridge services?

> Currently we are not supporting to get required binaries form internal or external repository.

>>________________________________

.json definition file

>>>For example:
>>>
>>>a)     What does the below mean?  Why
 provider is shown as apache and version
as 7? Are we saying php version 7 and is from
>>>        apache.org?
>>>   type":"php",
>>>    "provider":"apache",
>>>  ,
>>>    "version":"7",
>>You can define your own version and provider in there. Please refer [1] for more details

>>b)   How does .json would
like say we created a puppet manifest to have tomcat and mysql on same
cartridge?

>>You can use the cartridge definition [1] with correct service type as  "type":"<service-type>"
in json. Service-type is the name that you have given in puppet manifest.
>>Secondly,
>>>
>>>  The doc
says that default service-name is puppet agent install and is a generic
cartridge. If I provide service name as
>>>  mysql, would it also install puppet agent?
>>>
>>Yes. Through the config.sh we can install given service in to cartridge. If you provide
"mysql" it will install all the basic requirements (puppet agent, java, cartridge agent) along
with mysql

>>Thirdly,
>>>
>>>  In the
base puppet manifest, I see the following and would like to know what does
these mean? Especially, would like to
>>>  know from where this ip 10.4.128.7' came from?
>>>
>>>  $package_repo         = 'http://10.4.128.7'
>>>  $local_package_dir    = '/mnt/packs'
>>>
>>> In the nodes.pp, I see the below and would
like to know what is this
>>> with respect to above values in base manifest
>>>   $local_package_dir
= '/mnt/packs'

>>$local_package_dir refers where to packs should be downloaded through puppet.
>>

>>>Fourth'ly,
>>>
>>> In tomcat manifest init.pp, I see the target
set as /mnt and not /mnt/packs. Why this is different to the above?

>>> $target
= '/mnt'

>>$target define that where to install. As per your example tomcat will be installed
into /mnt/

>>As an example when installing cartridge agent, it will be downloaded to /mnt/packs
directory and extracted(installed) in to /mnt

>> Fifth'ly,
>>>

>>>  If at all, if I want to create oracle cartridge, i need to create puppet module
manifests and templates right? And here I have choice to pickup the binary(source => "puppet:///modules/java/${package}",)
just like how java module is created or pickup the os specific way of picking up package command(Package['mysql-server'],)
just like mysql puppet module manifest was created

>>Yes. You have to write a separate puppet module for oracle.
>>

>>>Please kindly respond with details of the working etc.
>>>

>>[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Sample+Cartridge+Definition

>>>________________________________

the cartridge creation guide on [1]

>>>When you execute config.sh it will ask for service name depending on which the
required software are installed.
>>>Please provide stratos service-name: php
>>>

>>>config.sh talks to puppet master to install the software. So if you want to  install
tomcat and mysql in the same instance,
>>>then you would have to change the puppet accordingly.
>>>

>>>[1]https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.0.0+Creating+a+Cartridge+on+OpenStack
>>>

>>>On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Maria Beckham <mariabeckham77@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>>>Hi All,

point along with config.sh error that I have sent earlier to which also I haven't received
response.

image on that instance? So that when i subcribe to this created cartridge, the vm that gets
spawned will have tomcat instance and mysql running.

to specify tomcat download location, version etc to get installed, to provide install commands
etc when a cartridge vm is spawned.

tomcat etc. same thing for mysql.

tomcat and mysql in one cartridige vm that gets spawned?