stratos-dev mailing list archives

From chris snow <chsnow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: vagrant environment now supports testing
Date Mon, 05 May 2014 06:05:48 GMT
Hi Sathyasuriya, thanks for trying the scripts.

I've added some responses inline...

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:07 AM, Sathyasuriya Priya
<sathyasuriya@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi Chris,
>
> Just some clarification on how you run your setup.
>
> You create a VM with 5gb ram and follow the instructions (install
> vagrant+virtualbox, clone your repo, run-script) inside it.

You don't create a VM.  The 'vagrant up' command creates the VM for
you.  Vagrant is basically an automation layer on top of Virtualbox.

> Or your base OS in the laptop is linux and you follow the instructions
> directly.

The base OS can be Windows, Mac OSX, Linux - basically any OS
supported by Vagrant and Virtualbox.

> How much time does it take to finish all the steps.

It will take quite a few hours depending on your connection speed and CPU.

> Some info on what I am trying:
>
> In my old laptop with linux, I try the direct method. But virtualbox is not
> able to run 64 bit VMs.

>From what I can tell, docker will need a 64 bit VM.  My scripts
therefore also require a 64 bit VM.

> I tried creating a server machine in Google Compute Engine(GCE), followed
> direct method. Again virtualbox is not able to run 64bit VMs.

The host that runs virtualbox should not be a virtual machine.

> I added 32bit VM [1] in Vagrantfile and hit couple of issues.
>
> I could use ~3584 for VM memory. Increasing beyond this, VM doesn't start.
> In stratos.sh fixed a typo in fix_git_tls_bug() "sudo apg-et update"
> In fix_git_tls_bug() changed git version to 1.8.* since my ubuntu13.10
> version had that.

Please try on a 64 bit machine.

> Now the stratos.sh is taking lot of time(may be 3-4 hours) and still
> executing. I see logs getting appended to stratos.log. So it's not stuck.
> Can I install vagrant+virtualbox in my newer windows laptop and follow the
> instructions directly in windows ?

Yes. Please try on a 64 bit host!!  I've added some .bat scripts to
the github project (though I haven't tested them yet).

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69