stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Afkham Azeez <afk...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: wiki - deployment policy questions
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2014 10:21:40 GMT
On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 11:29 AM, chris snow <chsnow123@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the difference between the algorithms round robin and one after
> another?

I think round-robin means, allocate the first instance in the first
partition, 2nd instance in the 2nd partition and so on, while one after
another means, fill the first partition first until maxed out, then go to
the 2nd partition and so on.

> How does the administrator choose which algorithm is the most
> suitable?  Is there advice we could give?

In a typical Cloud bursting scenario, we would use one after another. For
example, if an enterprise has its private cloud, all instances would be
allocated there, and when we run out of capacity, we would go to the next
partition on the public cloud.

The round robin case could be a case for very high availability, where
instances are spawned across multiple IaaS providers.

--
*Afkham Azeez*
Director of Architecture; WSO2, Inc.; http://wso2.com,

*email: **azeez@wso2.com* <azeez@wso2.com>