stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Isuru Haththotuwa <isu...@wso2.com>
Subject Re: Cartridge Events Diagram
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2014 10:21:45 GMT
On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Vanson Lim <vlim@cisco.com> wrote:

> On 4/25/14, 1:23 PM, Isuru Haththotuwa wrote:
>
>> Hi Vanson,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Vanson Lim <vlim@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>    I had a question after looking at the revised diagram.
>>>
>>> Between the events   "publish instance started event to Cloud Controller"
>>> ->"start servers"
>>>
>>> Is the git repo pulled down and available to use to derive config used to
>>> start server?  This could be useful for delivering configuration using
>>> the
>>> ADC that is used to configure the server before starting it.  This is a
>>> little bit different from the model I've seen where artifacts are hot
>>> deployed into servers after it starts.
>>>
>>> The ADC artifacts could be used during the start server event to
>>>
>>> 1) provide config for bootstrapping the install ou f the server binaries
>>>
>>> 2) Post install configure to complete server setup
>>> 3) deploying server run time config,  like application policies
>>>
>>> Interesting thought.
>>>
>> Currently, the server startup configuration is provided through an
>> instance
>> acting as a Puppet Master [1], at the time of instance start up. The git
>> repository is used to synchronize application artifacts (a php application
>> in case of a php instance, etc.) across a cluster. A user can upload the
>> artifacts to the git repository, configure a git hook so that artifacts
>> are
>> updated on the fly, across the cluster [2].
>>

> So in some cases where installing puppet into the cartridge is not
> practical or used, a cartridge should rely on its own artifact fetching
> mechanism for package config as the current "application artifact
> synchronization" mechanism as implemented can't be used for server
> bootstrapping and post install config.
>
> Just wanted to point out that moving the code that perform a git pull
> before the start server phase, preserves the ability to perform application
> artifact deployment but would also allow the artifact repository to be also
> used for other types of artifacts distribution.

Good thought Vanson. This is a way of using the same git repository to sync
initial server configs as well as application artifacts. However,
Puppet/Chef are specifically designed to cater the problem of getting
initial configs/artifacts and periodic updates from a single place, and are
widely used in large deployments. Maybe we can use a git repository for
simpler scenarios. WDYT?

> Thanks,
>
> -Vanson
>
>> [1].
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.
>> 0.0+Configuring+Puppet+Master
>>
>> [2].
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.
>> 0.0+Automated+Deployment+Synchronization
>>
>>  -Vanson
>>>

>>> On 4/24/14, 4:58 AM, Praneesha Chandrasiri wrote:
>>>
>>> Did a correction in adding the recursion for "publish stats to CEP".
>>>
>>> Please find the revised diagram attached.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Praneesha Chandrasiri<
>>> praneesha@wso2.com> <praneesha@wso2.com>wrote:
>>>

>>>   Hi Rekha,
>>>
>>> Thanks for reviewing.
>>>
>>> Attached is the revised diagram with the changes included as discussed.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Reka Thirunavukkarasu <reka@wso2.com>
>>> <reka@wso2.com>wrote:
>>>

>>>   Hi
>>>
>>> I have gone through it..It needs few modification as following after the
>>> Member started Event to Instance Status topic.
>>>
>>>   Member Started Event --> start servers --> wait for port Active -->
>>> publish instance activated event
>>>                                      --> artifact updated event
>>>                      --> start health checker
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Reka
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Mariangela Hills <mariangela@wso2.com>
>>> <mariangela@wso2.com>wrote:
>>>

>>>   Thanks, Praneesha!
>>>
>>> Can someone please let us know whether this diagram is ok.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mariangela
>>>

>>> *--*
>>> Mariangela Hills
>>> Senior Technical Writer
>>>
>>> *WSO2, Inc.*lean.enterprise.middleware.
>>> m: +94 773 500185
>>> w: http://wso2.com
>>>   <http://wso2.com/events/> <http://wso2.com/events/>
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Praneesha Chandrasiri <
>>> praneesha@wso2.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>   Hi Mari,
>>>
>>> Please find the $subject attached.
>>>
>>> Also please let me know if any improvements are required.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks & Best Regards,
>>> *Praneesha Chandrasiri*
>>> *Technical Writer*
>>>   *WSO2 Inc. *
>>> *Mobile: +(94) 718156888 <%2B%2894%29%20718156888>*
>>> *E-mail: praneesha@wso2.com <praneesha@wso2.com> <praneesha@wso2.com>*
>>>

>>>    --
>>> Reka Thirunavukkarasu
>>> Software Engineer,
>>> WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com,
>>> Mobile: +94776442007
>>>

>>>   --
>>> Thanks & Best Regards,
>>> *Praneesha Chandrasiri*
>>> *Technical Writer*
>>> *WSO2 Inc. *
>>> *Mobile: +(94) 718156888 <%2B%2894%29%20718156888>*
>>> *E-mail: praneesha@wso2.com <praneesha@wso2.com> <praneesha@wso2.com>*

--
Thanks and Regards,

Isuru H.