stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Stratos for Graduation?
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:39:07 GMT
Here's the breakdown of our recruitment:

July

    Batch addition of 6 people, all with WSO2 history (I believe)

August

    Manula Chathurika Thantriwatte (WSO2, no IPMC notice)
    Udara Liyanage (WSO2)

September

    Imesh Gunaratne (WSO2)

November

    Pradeep Fernando (WSO2)

December

    Chris Snow (external)

February

    Melan Nimesh (WSO2)

People the IPMC were not directly notified about:

- Manula Chathurika Thantriwatte
- Udara Liyanage
- Imesh Gunaratne
- Pradeep Fernando
- Melan Nimesh
- Jason Daly

Please make sure you notify the IPMC every time you add a PMC member.
If you fail to notify the board in a similar fashion once you are a
TLP, your PMC members will not, in fact, be PMC members. :)

cf. http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

People who were not announced:

- Melan Nimesh (WSO2)

Why wasn't Melan announced?

***

The concern in November was that the PMC was too homogenous, and that
a good goal for the podling would be to diversify a bit and bring on
some external contributors to the PMC.

Since that discussion, we've added two PMC members. One of those PMC
members is not affiliated with WSO2, bringing the total number of
non-WSO2 PMC members to one out of 12.

(I understand that we have some outstanding internal nominations, but
until they are announced, we cannot count them to the total, and
should not be talking about them on the dev@ list.)

So that question again:

"Is the PMC having issues recognising non-WSO2 merit?"

The number of non-WSO2 PMC members is 1/12 (or 8%) so I still think
that's a fair question. And I think I want to see a bit more progress
in this area before I am comfortable with Stratos graduating.

I'd like to hear from the folks who shared my concern in November.
Does our adding one non-WSO2 PMC member in the intervening time
assuage your concerns?

I'm happy that there has been effort to recognise non-WSO2 merit. I
know because I have seen it. But I think we need a bit more time to
see how this new approach plays out. I'd like to see the proof in the
pudding, and not jump to hasty conclusions.

Not sure what the "go fetch me a rock" comment is about. I think I've
made my *single* concern quite explicit in this thread. Though
apologies if there is some aspect of my communication which is
unclear.

On 28 November 2013 18:16, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> A nice idea might be for some of the committers to write a "Getting
> Started" guide for contributors. You could point to self-contained
> areas of the code, or bits that contributing to does not require too
> much pre-existing knowledge. Another idea is to have a JIRA field
> where you can flag the difficulty of the feature, so that people can
> choose "easy", "medium", or "hard" depending on experience with the
> codebase.

How much of this has happened?

--
Noah Slater