stratos-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Stratos for Graduation?
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2014 23:50:30 GMT
My name came up and so my filters drew me to this interesting thread.

Before I comment I should point out that I have not reviewed all the
archives, only this thread. I should also point out that although I
championed this project I did not take on a role as a mentor and have not
been tracking the project. My opinion is therefore non-binding.

Taking this thread as my only source of data I see no community
related reason why the project should not move for graduation. There seems
to be a little disconnect over what is required in reporting new committers
etc. I hope mentors are addressing that and I trust mentors have ensured
releases are being conducted correctly. But from a community perspective
things look fine.

Noah has asked whether the PMC is having issues with recognizing non-WSO2
contributions. Noah has not pointed to specific cases where this can be
seen happening, he is merely raising it as a potential issue. From what I
can tell Noah is more interested in having the PPMC think about and more
clearly document the meritocratic process for this project. This is
important, but need not be a blocker on graduation. The PPMC will
eventually figure out that it needs to be done if the project is to
succeed. Indeed, we see evidence of actions in the PPMC to directly address
this.

There is no requirement for diversity in an Apache project, only a
requirement for the project to operate in a way that facilitates diversity.
I see no evidence of Stratos avoiding diversity.

Lets not forget that things can always be done better, our goal should not
be perfection or projects would never graduate.

Ross

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Senior Technology Evangelist
Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

On 23 March 2014 10:06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@wso2.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On 23 March 2014 17:10, Lakmal Warusawithana <lakmal@wso2.com> wrote:
>>
>> > All together we have done 9 votes, 6 for wso2 and 3 for non-wso2. (I
>> know
>> > some are still not announced but all vote are finalized, hence the
>> current
>> > status)
>>
>> Those numbers look much better.
>>
>> (Though I still don't think we should be talking about un-announced
>> elections. These people may not accept yet, or the IPMC/board might
>> reject the appointments, and that could be embarrassing for them. We
>> have to be very circumspect about this sort of thing!)
>>
>> I still suspect we ought to wait a little while longer to see how this
>> plays out.
>>

> Its clear your view on this is to wait. That's fine - you are of course
> entitled to your view. As a long time ASF Member I personally think your
> view is rather narrow on this but obviously that's my biased view.
>
> According to http://incubator.apache.org/projects/stratos.html, there are
> a bunch of mentors and of course we have Ross as the champion. What do the
> rest of the mentors think?
>
>  Champion rgardler Ross Gardler Mentors azeez Afkham Azeez . smarruSuresh Marru.mpierceMarlon
Pierce.chipchildersChip Childers.mnourMohammad Nour.nslaterNoah Slater.antelderAnt Elder